Saturday, December 6, 2014

Juicing.......101?

On Sunday evening I was randomly looking through the list of blogs which a friend follows [thanks Maria :)] and came across one that had a post about juicing.
I starting reading along, then started thinking....
 Wow! I could totally do this! How hard could it be to make
juice and "eat" just that for 7 days? 
Yep. I'm doing this thing. 
--------------
You are probably wondering why in the world would one do this, right? 
And what exactly is it anyway?
Here goes.....
Our bodies need energy to keep us going. What makes energy? Food! So we shove as much in as we can so we're not hungry and we can keep living. That's all good and fine, 
but WHAT are we shoving in? 
Sometimes it's healthy, sometimes it's junk, whatever it is, our bodies need a little break from that constant intake.
That's where the juice comes in. 
A bunch of different fresh, raw fruits and vegetables all blended together for a delicious drink (OK yes, not all the combinations I tried were that delicious), is a wonderful way to cleanse out one's system of all the toxins present from one's diet.
The idea is to drink a variety of juices, 2-3 cups per meal, every day for as long as you want, but 7 days as a great start.
Once your body gets going on this and starts to clean out, you will either get really sick if you eat junky, therefore more toxins, or be totally fine, which means you might just eat OK after all, therefore not so many toxins to be gotten rid of!

So this was my little experiment to see what was going on with me.
I went with drink as much juice as I could, or whenever I was hungry, and eat 
one meal a day of something raw.

This was the combination of veggies/fruit that made the best juice.

Every morning I juiced about a half gallon which was what I drank for the rest of that day.

                                      
Our handy-dandy juicer 

In the end, the juice kind of looked like mud : / Not the most appetizing, but...! 
I did know what really was in it at least.

This was my one meal per day. Actually quite yummy.

And oh yes.... funny part of this, Mom was going to do it with me, but in the end only made it till about 11 am on Monday morning! Not totally sure why, but I'm thinking she had too much on her mind to think that hard about what she was going to eat :) 
She still thought my salad one night looked pretty good though, and Dad was a dear and got up and made her one too.
-------
As I said, my intention was to go 7 days like this. Got through day three which, I've heard from others who've done it, is the hardest day. But onto day four and I was just so hungry and the juice was not cutting it and I just wanted to eat something else.
That was when I weighed myself and discovered I had lost almost 5 lbs! 
THAT was not something I'd thought of! I guess it makes sense, but that must have been why I was so hungry. I wanted to at least do 5 days then, so that would mean only one more day, but today....
Well.... I guess I kind of just gave up. I ate lunch in the middle of the 5th day :)
It was soooo good.... haha

I did discover though, that I must not have too many toxins because I didn't get sick. 
So that was a good thing.
And that you can lose weight pretty easily this way. 
So that was a good thing. I guess. If I needed to lose weight....
That eating protein is actually really yummy.
That's a good thing.
And that I probably couldn't be a complete vegetarian.
And that's a good thing, because then I'd probably have to go hippie.....
and I like to take showers, so.... :)



1 comment:

  1. Wow Kaylee!!! I don't have the will power to drink only juice for that long. Good intentions, but only until I get hungry. Or bored.
    Good for you though. Except that you don't need to lose any weight.

    ReplyDelete