Saturday, June 7, 2014

Great Idea They Said...So Then Try It I Thought!

I've been thinking a lot about wheat and grains and how much of the yummy stuff we eat. 
Is it maybe not good for us? or maybe it is....
Well Dad can't really eat many bread products without feeling gross afterwards, 
so we try to find new ideas of foods to make.
I got the great idea of making vegetable flour. A break-through, right?! 
I thought so....well it wasn't a complete disaster, but it really wasn't a success either.


I got some sweet potatoes to start with, while already picturing the beautiful flour it would make and how lovely this experiment would be.
I sliced the potatoes nice and thin and filled the whole dehydrator. The next day when they were all crispy and just how I wanted them, I popped the lot of them into the blender
 and created a most gorgeous orangey flour!


Yes! I thought, whilest congratulating myself.
Then I followed a recipe (exactly how it said, I might add) to make "Sweet Potato Crepes".
 Very soon I began to realize that this was not going to happen like I was anticipating. 
The "crepes" were simply crumbling and looking very unhappy.


This was the result. 
I don't know what to do with it/them/whatever the result is. 
It does taste like sweet potatoes though! 
Kinda thinking that maybe flour should always have gluten in it, 
even if it may not be good for us =)


1 comment:

  1. What else was in the recipe? If your dad can have eggs, I'd look for a recipe with eggs, they can really hold things together! I have a couple Paleo bread/muffin recipes I can send you if you want! I can't have eggs so I am on the hunt for "bread" recipes without eggs… I do use egg substitutes though, like cornstarch or apple sauce and it comes out fairly decent! You can also try potato flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, almond flour, cashew flour (haha, there are a lot of them! I don't eat much wheat either!). I just found a recipe for Paleo Naan Bread and it has only three ingredients: 1/2 cup tapioca flour (you could probably use potato flour… maybe even sweet potato flour… I'd try it!), 1/2 cup almond flour, and 1 cup coconut milk (it comes in a can). You just mix it all together and pour it in a hot pan (like pancakes), once it fluffs up a bit and looks firm/mostly cooked, flip it over and do the other side (it can take a little while). Let me know if you try it how it comes out! :)

    ReplyDelete